.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Arlen Crawford's IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, WORLD

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)


I was nine years old when my parents took me to see this classic at the Skyview Drive-In in Belleville, IL. Along with my two younger sisters, Dad piled us into the station wagon (a black 1964 Chevelle) and Mom brought freshly-popped popcorn, homemade cookies and either lemonade or Kool-Aid. This was our tradition those Friday nights in the summer. It was Fridays, because my mother was the church pianist and we were ALWAYS at the church if the doors were open.

My mom and dad saw this movie in St. Louis with friends and thought it was great. They wanted to see it again. So, they took us with them and I have LOVED this film ever since.

Buddy Hackett had the best line when he told Ethel Merman, he wished that she’d just “drop dead!” Jonathan Winters had the next best line when he called Ethel Merman a “stupid idiot.” Of course, Mickey Rooney mimicking a drunk Jim Backus was hilarious. And Buddy Hackett flying the twin-engine plane is especially memorable. Dick Shawn also had some funny moments.

A few years ago, I purchased the 40th Anniversary Edition on DVD, complete with interviews with the cast (some now and some then) and listened to their recollections of the film. That was almost as funny as the film. Whenever I catch it on television, no matter what part I may tune into or just see a glimpse when I’m scanning channels, I almost ALWAYS stop to watch at least a 15 minute segment, if not all of it. I never get tired of it. Hollywood just doesn’t make films like that today.

Maybe you've already seen it, but if you haven’t, I highly recommend it. It is a wonderfully funny film and brings back GREAT memories. When I visited my parents in Florida back in June 2004, I purchased this DVD for them and watched the entire thing from start to finish. Just like old times, Mom made popcorn and lemonade. It was a wonderful experience.


*Contributed by: "Arlen Crawford" Date: Sep 04, 2005 / 12:29:03 PDT

4 Comments:

  • Winters is the best! funny movie "I'm coming mommy"

    By Blogger The Baxter, at Sun Sep 04, 05:18:00 PM PDT  

  • It's a wonderful feeling knowing I successfully passed along my love for classic movies to my children. This was my eldest son's first favorite film. His favorite scene was Jonathan Winters terrorizing the gas station attendants/mechanics. I love that scene too and will always think of him. Also, I know the feeling you mentioned of seeing a favorite film on TV and then, having to watch it from that point on. This film is definitely worthy of doing so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Sep 04, 05:31:00 PM PDT  

  • Your memories of this movie evoked my own.

    As you mentioned, the dialogue is hilarious even today.

    I recall entire scenes of dialogue verbatim just from your quotes. :D

    Ah,I needed a good laugh.

    By Blogger JavaBeanRush, at Tue Feb 21, 07:20:00 PM PST  

  • It's a true classic! I think my favorite scene is Milton Berle & Terry-Thomas arguing in the wildly bouncing (and about to crash) jeep.

    By Blogger MarkMyWord_81, at Sun Nov 21, 08:50:00 PM PST