.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Monday, September 12, 2005

CLIFTON WEBB?

Clifton Webb
CLIFTON WEBB (1889-1966), born Webb Parmalee Hollenbeck

Memories of my childhood movie watching days include films that contain Clifton Webb. He was pretty much typecast his entire career as this pompous, pedantic bachelor, but frankly he was darn good at it. I enjoyed watching him do what he did best.




Sitting Pretty (1948)Haven't you seen Sitting Pretty (1948)? This is a fun film, the first of a hilarious series. Here, he plays that famous character known as Mr. Belvedere.

Watch this and then see these other four films.


Laura (1944) Clifton Webb plays this part remarkably well. It is a mystery worth seeing.
Cheaper by the Dozen (1950) I like this film a lot. He plays an efficiency expert with twelve children.
Stars and Stripes Forever (1952) Here, Clifton Webb plays John Philip Sousa and does so very well.
The Razor's Edge (1946) It's funny how you can run across a film that you had no idea would be that engrossing. This one just so happened to be at the end of a tape of which I'd recorded something else where the tape kept running. I started watching it because I saw Tyrone Power was in it and I hadn't ever before heard of the film. I found the story fascinating. Clifton Webb was in it, too. Then, all of a sudden, right in the middle of the movie, the tape ran out. I was horrified! After phoning eight video stores, I found it for rent. I was so glad I could finish it. The cast also includes: Gene Tierney, John Payne, Anne Baxter, Herbert Marshall, Lucile Watson, and even Elsa Lanchester.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Wed, Jan 30 2002 / 9:17:00 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1944 Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role: LAURA
1946 Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role: THE RAZOR'S EDGE
1948 Nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role: SITTING PRETTY

0 Comments: