.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Leehee's TEN FILMS THAT CHANGED MY LIFE

The Top Ten Films
that Mean Something to Me!

.... in no particular order


The Parent Trap (1961)
The Parent Trap (1961)

I think I have watched this movie over 200 times. I honestly believe that. The first time I saw it was when I was five years old, and I used to rent it over and over again (this was before I ever thought of BUYING movies LOL) till my Mom would go nuts. It's really a fairytale for kids, but even as a grownup I watch it sometimes and still enjoy it as much.

Funny Girl (1968)
Funny Girl (1968)

This movie got me hooked on musicals and of course, on Barbra Streisand. I was in awe of this woman's talents, and ever since then I've been a die-hard fan of hers. There is so much to love about this gem- the songs are classic (just think "People" and "Don't Rain On My Parade"), the story is funny and sad at the same time, and the acting... oh, the acting! So wonderful.

The Awful Truth (1937)
The Awful Truth (1937)

I don't ever remember laughing this hard while watching a movie... This is the ultimate screwball comedy for me. Not to mention it has Cary Grant and Irene Dunne, who are two of my favorite performers.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

By far my favorite western. (Yes, even before The Searchers) This is a movie that makes you think, and yet, is not really what you think it is... On top of that, it has two of my favorite leading men, John Wayne and James Stewart, and they give two of the best performances of their careers!

Roman Holiday (1953)
Roman Holiday (1953)

This is a sweet fantasy, even though you can really see Audrey Hepburn as a princess.... It's just a lot of fun, with two very charismatic leads, and it doesn't have a 'Hollywood' ending, which I like - it's real.

From Here to Eternity (1953)
From Here to Eternity (1953)

THE most romantic movie ever. This movie introduced me to the amazing Deborah Kerr. Incredible acting by all five leads, a captivating story and an unusual romance...what more could you ask for?

The Quiet Man (1952)
The Quiet Man (1952)

I first rented it because Maureen O'Hara (of The Parent Trap fame) was in it, and it seemed interesting enough. I was maybe fourteen at the time, and I can safely say that this is the movie that started it all! I LOVED it, and began watching more and more so called "classic" films. I also decided I had to see every movie Maureen O'Hara ever made, every movie John Wayne ever made, and every movie John Ford ever directed.... I'm a few movies short of completing my mission! :) Oh and by the way, another way this movie changed my life is that it got me hooked on Irish culture... I even have a tiny clover tattoo on my ankle.

Indiscreet (1958)
Indiscreet (1958)

This is the movie that showed me what I had been missing...meaning Ingrid Bergman's talents. This was the first movie of hers I ever saw (yes, I'm ashamed to say, I only saw Casablanca after seeing this...) and I realized what a truly gifted comic she was.

All About Eve (1950)
All About Eve (1950)

Again, this was the first movie of Bette Davis' that I watched.... and I loved it! The wit, the wickedness of this woman...wow. This whole script is brilliant, and all of the performers simply shine throughout the entire movie. A must for theater goers!

And last but certainly not least ... My all time favorite movie ...

Yentl (1983)
Yentl (1983)

It's relatively recent but in my eyes it's a bonafide classic (not to mention it comes from a Isaac Singer short story). If we're talking about movies that changed our lives, this surely fits the bill. As a Jewish Woman, this movie showed me "Nothing is impossible" ,and as a female film maker (as I plan to be), it paved the way for me to be accepted in this man-dominated industry. Its social influences aside, this movie is a still a masterpiece, and you have to remember it came from a first time director! The acting is superb, the music is captivating and emotional, and even the cinematography is out of this world. This movie never ceases to amaze and inspire me, no matter how many times I watch it, and it sets a very high standard for women all over the world and for filmmakers in general.

Whew! That was long. Hope you enjoyed it. :)


*Contributed by: "Leehee" Date: Tues, 12 Jun 2001

Movie stills displayed: The Parent Trap (1961), Funny Girl (1968), The Awful Truth (1937), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), Roman Holiday (1953), From Here to Eternity (1953), The Quiet Man (1952), Indiscreet (1958), All About Eve (1950), Yentl (1983)

1 Comments:

  • Nice list. Based on these, I'd say you'd like: His Girl Friday, What's Up, Doc?, All that Heaven Allows, Angel Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's, At Long Last Love, and One Way Passage...

    By Blogger Erich Kuersten, at Fri May 20, 07:25:00 AM PDT