.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Miska's TEN FILMS THAT CHANGED MY LIFE

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

The Ten Films that Have Influenced My Life
So Far!


...in no particular order


Anastasia (1997)

It was such a cute movie and I had a pretty big obsession on this one. Anastasia introduced me to the world of movie-fan-fiction; and made me remember just how romantic and beautiful an animated movie can be. The movie that first taught me that was...

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

This was my first favorite movie; I was about four when it came out but I've always loved it. The message it sends is timeless, as is the beautiful music and wonderful story.

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

The movie that kicked off my "Obsessed with Judy Garland" stage. It's such a lively and entertaining film and Judy truly is wonderful. "From the moment I saw her smile/I knew she was just my style..." One look at her singing "The Boy Next Door" and I was hooked for life.

Star Wars (1977)

My newest favorite movie and the films that followed have introduced me to a brand new genre. My friends even call me a "Jedi Princess" and yes, I do have a light saber. The romance, the mystery, the action and adventure...

Oklahoma! (1955)

My very first Rodgers and Hammerstein musical (that I knew was Rodgers and Hammerstein). Can you imagine the impact it had on a 10 year old girl like me? I loved it from the beginning and watched it about ten times a month. And I couldn't have made a better choice. This is what really got me started in my love of movie-musicals and of R&H.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

My first Katharine Hepburn movie, and what a great actress she is. Today I admire and adore her very much; she's the greatest. And what fun to see her and Cary Grant playing screwball comedy to perfect!! I've never seen a better pair, and I adore this movie.

West Side Story (1961)

Another of my 'grand passions'. Something about this movie just caught me- maybe it was the music, the doomed love story, the dancing, or the honesty of the whole thing. Yes, I know that New York gangs do not dance or break into song, but I think this movie captures the spirit of these kids, as well as the spirit of the 50's and 60's. Of course the music is fabulous, and as long as I'm around NO ONE is allowed to fast-forward through the dancing :-).

The Sound Of Music (1964)

My very very first musical; a movie that I've loved ever since before I can remember. What is there to say about this classic that hasn't already been said? I love it because it's beautiful, simple, and wonderful. When I'm watching it I think that nothing bad in the world can happen as long as movies like this exist and are preserved.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

A movie that I loved loooong before I knew who Judy Garland was. I grew up with this classic and every year that passes I love it more and more. Another movie that renews my faith in human nature and keeps me a child at heart no matter how old I get.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

A beautiful wonderful movie. This is the number one Christmas movie of all time and I never watch it without tears of pure happiness in my eyes. Maybe it's silly to get so worked up over a movie; but every time George's brother raises his glass at the end and says "Here's to my brother George, the richest man in the world!" I get choked up. People just aren't like that any more. At least, no one that I know. And to be realistic, maybe they never really were, but if they aren't, they should be. Definitely.


*Contributed by: "Miska" Date: Tues, Jan 15 2002

Movie still displayed: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

0 Comments: