.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Monday, January 05, 2015

ROBERT REDFORD?

Robert RedfordROBERT REDFORD (1936-Present), born Charles Robert Redford, Jr.

Robert Redford is not only a fabulous actor, but he's a wonderful director as well. He was the MAN back in my teen years of the 1970s. Redford was my first major movie star crush. I saw him standing at the top of those stairs, holding a dozen red roses, up there on the big screen and I wanted desperately to be the recipient of those flowers. I was star struck by this Adonis that I'd never seen before, as I watched him play Johnny Hooker in The Sting. That was my favorite movie of the year. I went forth to see every Robert Redford film ever made and besides his winning my heart, he made quite a lot of winning films.


Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)Haven't you seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)?
He plays The Sundance Kid. When I first saw this, I was nine, so I didn't fall in love with him just yet. That happened when I was thirteen. It was wonderful to see this film again after I knew who he was full well.

Watch this and then see these other four films.


The Sting (1973) Here's the movie that started the Redford fever to see all his movies. It is Redford's second teaming with Paul Newman from his Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid days. It's the film that got everyone in America who played the piano playing Scott Joplin rags.
Barefoot in the Park (1967) This is still one of my most favorite films. I love the whole thing. It's a wonderful Neil Simon comedy. He and Jane Fonda play newlyweds. The results are hilarious.
The Natural (1984) This film showed me when I was twenty-four that Redford still had it going on. Swoon! To think, he's the same age as my mother, for goodness sake. Here, he plays Rob Hobbs, a man with a great gift and a dream to play baseball.
The Way We Were (1973) It's extremely hard to pick only five movies for Redford when I have a working knowledge of so many of his films and love so many equally well. I choose this one, because no one who loves Redford can say they haven't seen it. It is one of his most famous films. Frankly, so are a lot of others. He plays this part very well.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Friday, Feb 1 2002 / 2:51:00 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1973 Nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role: THE STING
1980 Won Best Achievement in Directing: ORDINARY PEOPLE
1994 Nominated for Best Achievement in Directing: QUIZ SHOW
1994 Nominated for Best Picture of the Year: QUIZ SHOW — Producer
2002 Honorary and Other Awards: Actor, director, producer, creator of Sundance, inspiration to independent and innovative filmmakers everywhere. Winner presented a statuette.

1 Comments:

  • EmilyO said:
    I started to put in information about Robert Redford, too. After all, he IS my age -- actually 1/2 year older!!! Your blog was much better than the one I submitted.
    I met him once, when he was doing "Sneakers". He was waiting for a cue in front of the bank I worked for in San Francisco. I had to go into the bank and I passed him by.....the thing I noticed most was that he had orange paint on his face...it never showed in the movie. Even orange, he was a doll.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Nov 10, 05:17:00 PM PST