.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

TONY CURTIS?

Tony Curtis I can't remember a time I didn't know who TONY CURTIS (1925-2010) was. I even remember him animated in an episode of "The Flintstones". Tony Curtis, born Bernard Schwartz, when his career began played mostly glamour-boy roles with those sparkling eyes of his, gorgeous hair, winning smile and cleft chin. He went on from there to play more substantial roles. I own many favorites.
Tony Curtis is a fine actor.


Some Like It Hot (1959)
Haven't you seen Some Like It Hot (1959)? This is one of the funniest movies ever made about two men that witness the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and join an all-girl orchestra to escape being killed by the Mob in Chicago. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are hilarious in drag.


Watch this and then see these other four films.



The Defiant Ones (1958) This is a very serious movie about two escaped convicts in the deep South shackled together, one white (Curtis) and one black (Sidney Poitier).
The Great Impostor (1961) This is a biography of the incredible story of Ferdinand Demara (played by Curtis), a man who succeeded in a variety of professional guises without any certification or diplomas.
Houdini (1953) It's hard to pick just five Tony Curtis films. There are so many good ones. This was the first one I'd ever seen. I hear it isn't that factual, but I love it just the same. Tony Curtis is wonderful as Houdini, the world's greatest magician.
Operation Petticoat (1959) This is a comedy that stars both Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. It's sheer fun from beginning to end. I love Curtis in this one, as the con artist who gets the job done.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve" Date: Fri, Feb 15 2002 / 14:08:00 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1958 Nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role: THE DEFIANT ONES

3 Comments:

  • When I met Tony Curtis for the second time in 1997- and chummed around with him for the evening before he was to give a small speech - he was a lot of fun. With his hand on my shoulder, he whispered that he still gets nervous when having to speak in front of an audience. He laughed at a joke of mine (involving our shared Hungarian ancestry and something my I had said to my father)and later autographed a photo, "To Alex, from one Hungarian to another."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 01, 10:09:00 PM PDT  

  • I take my hat off to the author of this article. Well done.
    ------------------------------------------
    alesum

    By Anonymous alesum, at Sat Oct 16, 10:10:00 AM PDT  

  • I truly hope nobody finds this depressing, but I need to say it. 10 years ago, I noticed that certain movie stars of my generation were getting on a bit in years. Which naturally meant, I too was getting on a bit. But, I reasoned, as long as Paul Newman and Tony Curtis were still with us...

    Now, with both of these great stars and great human beings gone, I can officially say that time has moved on. The good news - and there is good news - is that we can keep them in front of us and in our hearts via DVD.

    By Blogger 191 Movies, at Thu Oct 21, 12:10:00 PM PDT