.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Thursday, November 10, 2005

RODDY MCDOWALL?

Roddy McDowall RODDY MCDOWALL (1928-1998), born Roderick Andrew Anthony Jude McDowall (sometimes written MacDowall) in London England

Roddy began his acting career as a child and was one of the few actors successful enough to continue his career into adulthood. At the age of eighteen, he went on to stage career and then, made over 150 more films. Roddy McDowall also acted in television, developed an extensive collection of movies and Hollywood memorabilia, became active in film preservation, served on the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and published five acclaimed books of his own photography. These books known as the "Double Exposure" series benefited the Motion Picture and Television Fund. They contain gorgeous photographs of celebrities Roddy McDowall knew personally. He died at his Los Angeles home, aged 70, of cancer.


How Green Was My Valley (1941)Haven't you seen How Green Was My Valley (1941)? This is the film that first introduced me to Roddy McDowall. I absolutely loved the character Huw Morgan. Roddy McDowall was superb in this role. I was about his age when I watched the film on television. I wanted to see every film he was in after that. This one has remained my favorite.

Watch this and then see these other four films to get you started.



Lassie Come Home (1943)
The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin (1967)
My Friend Flicka (1943)
That Darn Cat (1965)


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Thurs, Nov 10 2005 / 15:46:59 PST

1 Comments:

  • Just did a search for Roddy McDowall and came upon your post. I loved him since I was a little girl and was saddened by his death a few years ago. Nice picture in your post.

    By Blogger Chelle, at Wed Dec 14, 08:09:00 PM PST