.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Thursday, January 08, 2015

EDDIE ALBERT?

Eddie AlbertWhen I first learned Eddie Albert's name, I was watching "Green Acres" on television. I think everyone I knew could sing its theme song. I still imitate Eva's accent from time to time. In middle school, (in the early 70s), EDDIE ALBERT (1906-2005), born Edward Albert Heimberger, came to my school to give a lecture about conservation. He gave a slide show presentation, a passionate lecture, and encouraged us to plant trees. A huge group of us walked out to the front of the school to wave good-bye. I wanted so much to talk to him, but I felt too shy. I wanted him to know how much I'd enjoyed his work as an actor on TV. Somehow, saying so didn't seem appropriate at the time. He had come to talk to us kids about more important things. He waved to us all and seemed like such a nice man. I was sorry to see him leave. It was after that I saw him in many good films. Little did I know then how much he had contributed to the motion picture industry. It was as an adult that I learned Eddie Albert had replaced Robert Preston on Broadway as The Music Man. I would have liked to have seen that. Beyond seeing this wonderful actor in several television shows over the years, I also heard his voice in several animated productions. I heard his voice first as Captain Standish in "The Mouse on the Mayflower" and later as the narrator in "The Lorax". Once you learn who Eddie Albert is, you'll begin to see his guest appearances on classic television shows everywhere. When I purchased the complete series of "Kung Fu" and started watching every episode, I saw Eddie Albert in a two-part episode. Then a month later, I was watching a rerun of "Murder She Wrote" and there he was again. Much to my delight, it was one of the better episodes.


Roman Holiday (1953)Haven't you seen Roman Holiday (1953)? It's truly a toss up, which film role I like best of Eddie Albert's. He is wonderful in this film. Here he has a beard and is a rather good looking guy, despite not being the lead. Roman Holiday is the story of a princess that runs away from the castle for a day, just to experience life like a normal person. Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn also star. Eddie Albert plays a photographer named Irving Radovich, who is the lead's best friend.


Watch this and then see these other four films.


Oklahoma! (1955) I absolutely love him as Ali Hakim, the traveling salesman who unsuccessfully avoids Ado Annie.
Escape from Witch Mountain (1975) He plays Jason O'Day who helps the children escape. He was in Beyond Witch Mountain as well.
Four Wives (1939) Eddie Albert portrays Dr. Clinton 'Clint' Forrest Jr. in this sequel to Four Daughters starring the Lane sisters. Eddie Albert is also in the third film Four Mothers, as well. I have all three in my collection and enjoy these films.
The Fuller Brush Girl (1950) Albert plays Hubbell Briggs in this female remake of The Fuller Brush Man. Lucille Ball plays the fuller brush girl and Albert is her fiance. This film is not as good as the original, but I love it. I like Lucy and Eddie Albert together. It's a lot of fun. I own both films and see them as a companion set.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Tues, Jun 27 2006 / 7:46:18 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1953 Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role: ROMAN HOLIDAY
1972 Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role: THE HEARTBREAK KID

0 Comments: