.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

BARRY FITZGERALD?

Barry FitzgeraldBARRY FITZGERALD, born William Joseph Shields (1888-1961) in Dublin, Ireland, was one of Hollywood's finest character actors. I was first introduced to this wonderful actor, seeing him portray Father Fitzgibbon in Going My Way. He won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor was the for that role. In fact, it was the first time anyone had ever been nominated for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for the same role. The Academy later changed its policy about allowing such things.


The Quiet Man (1952)Haven't you seen The Quiet Man (1952)? He played Michaleen Oge Flynn. My favorite word in the whole movie is when Barry Fitzgerald says, "Impetuous". You'll have to see it to know what I'm talking about. This is a great film with a great cast. Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne sparkle.

Watch this and then see these other four films.


The Story of Seabiscuit (1949) [aka: Pride of Kentucky (UK)] He played Shawn O'Hara, Seabiscuit's trainer. See an older Shirley Temple.
Going My Way (1944) He played Father Fitzgibbon.
How Green Was My Valley (1941) [aka: Richard Llewellyn's How Green Was My Valley (USA: complete title)] He played Cyfartha.
Bringing Up Baby (1938) He played Mr. Gogarty.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Thurs, Apr 12 2007 / 9:45:28 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1944 Nominated Best Actor in a Leading Role: GOING MY WAY
1944 Won Best Actor in a Supporting Role: GOING MY WAY

1 Comments:

  • Hey nice post and nice blog. I love Fitzgerald as the drunken gardener in BUB... in fact whenever I'm walking around my apartment by myself in a daze about what to do with myself I often quote from his lines; "and then they say, 'Cassidy, you mustn't drink. Cassidy, you mustn't touch the bottle.'"

    By Blogger Erich Kuersten, at Fri Jul 06, 08:11:00 AM PDT