.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

ROBERT CUMMINGS?

Robert CummingsAmerican actor Robert Cummings (1910–1990), born Charles Clarence Cummings first came to my attention through watching classic television reruns. I learned that Bob Cummings had had two very successful lighthearted situation comedies, "My Hero" (1952) that last 39 episodes and his most famous "The Bob Cummings Show" AKA "Love That Bob" (1955-1959), which lasted five seasons, a 171 episodes. When I first watched "The Bob Cummings Show" in the 1980s, I hadn't seen of his films. All I knew was he had to be very popular to land his own show. It after watching this sitcom, I learned that Bob Cummings had made quite a name for himself as a leading man in lighthearted comedies in the 1930s and 40s for Paramount. Robert Cummings also had done stronger dramatic roles during both the 40s and 50s, before going to television. In my mind, Robert Cummings will always be the good looking nice guy that either gets the girl or walks away with another better suited to him by the end of the picture.


Haven't you seen Moon Over Miami (1941)? This musical is sheer fluff and my favorite Robert Cummings film. He plays millionaire playboy Jeffrey 'Jeff' Boulton II. The film also stars Don Ameche, Betty Grable and Carole Landis.

Watch this and then see these other four films.


Lucky Me (1954) In this Doris Day romantic comedy, Bob plays Dick Carson.
Kings Row (1942) This is an example of one of Bob's dramatic roles. Here he plays Parris Mitchell. Ronald Reagan also stars.
One Night in the Tropics (1940) In this Abbott and Costello comedy and my first Robert Cummings film, Bob plays Steve Harper.
The Bride Wore Boots (1946) In this comedy of errors, he plays Jeff Warren, opposite Barbara Stanwyck.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 / 17:50:37 PDT

1 Comments:

  • Don't forget "It Started With Eve"! The first time I saw Robert Cummings was in this film, amorously chasing Deanna Durbin around the room. :) I was smitten. He's very funny.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jul 29, 11:37:00 PM PDT