.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Monday, April 18, 2011

TERESA WRIGHT?

Teresa Wright TERESA WRIGHT (1918–2005), born Muriel Teresa Wright is an amazingly talented actress and the only actress ever to be nominated for Academy Awards for the first three of her films. Much to my disappointment and not being old enough, I was never able to see Teresa Wright on the big screen. I was first introduced to her on a 14 inch black and white television in my bedroom. Teresa Wright played opposite Gary Cooper, as the wife of baseball icon Lou Gehrig in The Pride of the Yankees. She completely captivated me. I had to see her in more films. Each time I saw her, I loved her all the more. She become my mentor for everything I felt I should be, good-hearted, beautiful, passionate, strong and fearless. All five films recommended in this showcase are part of my classic movie library.


The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)Haven't you seen The Best Years of Our Lives (1942)? This movie is one of my all-time favorite classic films. It is an extremely moving story with a phenomenal cast. In addition to Teresa Wright, there is Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Virginia Mayo and newcomer Harold Russell. It's one of those films, I get choked up just talking about. It's a must-see for every classic film fan.

Watch this and then see these other four films.

The Pride of the Yankees (1942) Teresa Wright plays Eleanor Twitchell. My classic movie library would not be complete without this film. It made me a Gary Cooper fan as well.
Mrs. Miniver (1942) She plays Carol Beldon, the granddaughter of Mrs. Miniver played by Greer Garson (another huge favorite of mine). This film is excellently cast and one that I purchased the day it came to DVD.
Shadow of a Doubt (1943) In this Hitchcock film, Teresa Wright plays the lead Charlotte 'Young Charlie' Newton opposite Joseph Cotten as the very scary Uncle Charlie Oakley. I continue to be on the edge of my seat with this one. I don't want anything to happen to my Teresa Wright.
Bill On His Own (1983) This was the second of two wonderful made-for-TV films starring Mickey Rooney as mentally challenged Bill Sackter. In this one Teresa Wright plays Mae Driscoll, the owner of a group home. She teaches Bill to read.


*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve" Date: Mon, Apr 18 2011 / 10:18:04 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1943 Won Best Actress in a Supporting Role MRS. MINIVER (1942).
1943 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (1942).
1942 Nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role THE LITTLE FOXES (1941).

0 Comments: