.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

ELIZABETH VAN CLEVE RANDOLPH RECOMMENDS: The Noir Western: Darkness on the Range, 1943–1962 by David Meuel

The Noir Western: Darkness on the Range, 1943-1962 by David Meuel


Much of my reading about classic movies comes from either the web and via books that I have acquired second hand in thrift stores.  I read mostly autobiographies written by classic performers.  I have only a handful of reference books, because so many don't go into enough depth.  They are merely showcasing stills that I've already seen. When author David Meuel offered to send me a free copy of his latest book, Women in the Films of John Ford to review, I didn't expect him to do so once I shared that I lived in Canada. Much to my surprise however, this was not the case. A brand new paperback arrived within the week. Much to my delight, it turned out to be a truly delightful read, now one of my favorite reference books. After writing reviews on both my blog and Amazon, I was sent a second book to review, this time being, The Noir Western: Darkness on the Range, 1943-1962

This book, I highly recommend, as well. Like me, I suspect that David Meuel will open your eyes to the concept of The Noir Western, as he did me. I had heard of Film-Noir with its roots in German Expressionist Cinematography, but I had never contemplated a western using Noir storytelling techniques like voice-overs and flashbacks, using the wild west setting as a dark, moody, and complicated place with all its psychological complexity, nor did I pay attention to how lighting was used in any westerns I watched.

Because of my love for Film-Noir, over the years, I have collected many of those black and white films with their private investigators, undercover policemen, ordinary law-abiding citizens lured into lives of crime, gorgeous femme fatales, women of unquestionable virtue, and all those innocent victims of the "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" situation. So, it was really something to read more about what I'd labeled as solely one genre, The Western, as has having so much more to it.  

The only subgenre that I'd thought about was The Spaghetti Western, those films produced and directed by Italians. This idea of the Film-Noir Western intrigued me from its first pages of David Meuel's book. I couldn't put it down, expect to run out and rent the Film-Noir Western of which he wrote. I enjoyed this book so much that I read it aloud to my husband, as I quite doing with the first book about the women in John Ford movies.  

I felt pleased with myself that I'd seen some of the films mentioned in this book, The Searchers, High Noon, Red River, My Darling Clementine, and The Ox-Bow Incident, but after reading what I did in this book, I had to watch them again.  David Meuel showed me what to look for in these films.  I have now added every Film-Noir Western that he mentions in his book to my Movies Wish List of those I have to own. 

David Meuel may not be an actor or a filmmaker.  He is, however like me, a lifelong student of films, with a passion for the movies.  Every line in his book demonstrates serious dedication to his topic. He has read numerous books concerning classic movies, spoken to their authors, taken film classes, and most of all, watched with both his heart and critical eye the films mentioned in his book countless times.

David Meuel's books are what all film books should do, both educate and inspire readers, but sadly fall short. Throughout reading each of David Meuel's books, I have felt again and again that he is a true kindred spirit.  Here is a man that I'd have in my living room watching classic movies with me.  Oh, the stories that he and I would share!

After reading the first book that David Meuel sent me and hearing that he had other film book in the works, I told him that "I would read every book he wrote."  Then I added, "I did however David, find one thing wrong with the first book you sent me.  You didn't autographed it."  

He then assured me that his next book would correct that oversight.  I do indeed have an autographed copy of The Noir Western Darkness on the Range 1943-1962.  I also have an autographed Post-it note for the first book that he sent me. So, it's been handled too.

I heartily recommend The Noir Western: Darkness on the Range, 1943-1962 to all those that love movies, regardless of whether or not you are familiar with westerns of any kind.  I guarantee that after reading even one chapter, you will want to see these fine films.  This book can be purchased through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and the publisher.  It is also recommended on Goodreads.com.

Thank you David for sending me your book.  It is a treasured friend, as are you.



*Contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Tues, July 8 2014 / 14:54:28 PDT

Purchase The Noir Western Darkness on the Range 1943-1962.by David Meuel (USA Paperback or Kindle / Canada Paperback or Kindle)

David Meuel photograph displayed contains a hyperlink to David Meuel's youtube video: 2 Myths About John Ford -- Classic Film Contrarian.

0 Comments: