.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

CARY GRANT?

Cary Grant
CARY GRANT (1904-1986), born Archibald Alexander Leach

The wonderful and gorgeous Cary Grant is my favourite actor - just ask any of my friends and work colleagues. They tend to tremble and shake and bring out the sharp knives whenever I mention his illustrious name. Anyway, who can blame me for my obsession.




The Awful Truth (1937)Haven't you seen The Awful Truth (1937)? A marvelous screwball comedy; a riot from beginning to end, co-starring my favourite Cary Grant leading lady, Irene Dunne. The film also co-stars Asta, the screwball comedy dog.


Watch this and then see these other four films.


The Philadelphia Story (1940)
An Affair to Remember (1957) This was a remake of the 1939 film Love Affair. Irene Dunne starred in that, alongside Charles Boyer. Many critics say that this was a superior film to the Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr version An Affair To Remember. Personally, I would have LOVED to see Irene Dunne and Cary Grant in this film - I think that would have been the perfect pairing.
North by Northwest (1950)
The Bishop's Wife (1947) Every time I watch it I start crying just that bit earlier because I know what's coming up. I'm now at the stage where I cry as the opening credits roll. Soon I'll be crying as I get the video out of its box. Oh well....


*Contributed by: "Donna Moore" Date: Sat, May 5 2001 / 20:44:55 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1941 Nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role: PENNY SERENADE
1944 Nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role: NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART
1969 Honorary and Other Awards: For his unique mastery of the art of screen acting with the respect and affection of his colleagues. Winner presented a Statuette.

5 Comments:

  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:09:57 -0800 (PST)

    Here are 5 more great ones not listed.
    Topper (1937)
    Notorious (1946)
    I'm No Angel (1933)
    Suspicion (1941)
    Charade (1963)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 18, 05:54:00 PM PDT  

  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2001 9:39 AM

    No one knows Cary Grant better than "Donna Moore" with her owning every movie he ever made. I certainly have not seen them all. I know it darn near killed Donna to only name five in the Cary Grant showcase. So, I now relieve some of her suffering by naming five more of my personal favorites and it kills me to do only an additional five. Of course, I love all five that Donna mentioned but in a different order. I'd rank her last two highest on my list. To her five, I add People Will Talk (1951) a beautiful drama with Cary Grant as a doctor who falls in love with a patient, Penny Serenade (1941) a beautiful tear-jerker with Cary Grant as an adoptive father, My Favorite Wife (1940), the very first Cary Grant film that I ever saw - a wonderful comedy about Grant's wife whom he had thought dead returning on the eve of his wedding night, Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) a hilarious screwball comedy horror flick about a man learning that his entire family is mentally ill on the day he hopes to get married, and Holiday (1938) my favorite Cary Grant romance with Katharine Hepburn. He's just a fun wonderful guy. And Don't you DARE say I put these films in any particular order of preference. Each is four stars in my book.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 18, 06:00:00 PM PDT  

  • Date: Thursday, May 10, 2001 4:21 PM

    Cary Grant is second only to Jimmy Stewart in my book so I'd like to add 5 of my favorites.
    Bringing Up Baby (1938) with Katharine Hepburn & Charlie Ruggles
    Only Angels Have Wings (1939- the greatest year for movies, in my humble opinion) with Jean Arthur & Thomas Mitchell
    His Girl Friday (1940) with Rosalind Russell & Ralph Bellamy
    Mr. Lucky (1943) with Laraine Day & Charles Bickford
    The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) with Myrna Loy & Shirley Temple, remember the "You remind me of a man..." routine? Classic!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 04, 02:37:00 PM PDT  

  • Another 5 great film's not listed are:
    Father Goose
    HouseBoat
    I Was A Male War Bride
    Operation Petticoat
    The Talk of the Town.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 23, 03:25:00 PM PST  

  • Sorry, I don't know of a BAD Cary Grant film...the camera loved him, and why wouldn't we? I, too, get the 'who?' blank response from youthful co-workers...their work skills reflect it, too! Have to add another favorite of mine, Mr Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse!
    "If you ain't eatin' WHAM, you ain't eatin' HAM!"

    By Blogger Sister Beals, at Wed Nov 24, 02:30:00 PM PST