.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Friday, September 09, 2005

IRENE DUNNE?

Irene Dunne




IRENE DUNNE, (1898-1990), born Irene Marie Dunn









Theodora Goes Wild (1936)



Haven't you seen Theodora Goes Wild (1936)?


Watch this and then see these other four films.






The Awful Truth (1937)
Showboat (1936)
Cimarron (1931)
My Favorite Wife (1940)


*Contributed by: "Donna Moore" Date: Sat, May 5 2001 / 20:44:55 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1930 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: CIMARRON
1936 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: THEODORA GOES WILD
1937 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: THE AWFUL TRUTH
1939 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: LOVE AFFAIR
1948 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: I REMEMBER MAMA

2 Comments:

  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 9:50 AM

    I have seen every film in the Irene Dunne showcase. I have five additional films to recommend that are among my favorites.

    Penny Serenade (1941) - This is the film that first endeared me to Irene Dunne. In this film, she is married to Cary Grant and they adopt a baby. It's a truly heart warming picture, but I warn you; have your tissues handy. It's quite a tear-jerker.
    Anna and the King of Siam (1946) - Everyone really must see this non-musical version of The King and I story. Irene Dunne is wonderful as the school teacher Anna.
    I Remember Mama (1948) - This is another great drama, a true story too, based on the play by John Van Druten and the novel Mama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes. Irene Dunne plays Mama to Kathryn Forbes. In my opinion, the movie is actually better than the short book which I've read and own. I can't say that about too many films.
    It Grows on Trees (1952) - I absolutely loved this fantasy comedy and wish it could have sparked a whole series of films with Dunne. It's about a charmed mom with a tree in family's yard that actually grows money.
    A Guy Named Joe (1943) - This is a wonderful drama on which the film Always with Richard Dreyfuss was based. It's wonderful to see the original story. It is superior to its remake. This film also stars Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson. The story is about Tracy coming back to Earth in "invisible form" to help a serviceman whom he later finds out is in love with Tracy's former girlfriend."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 18, 05:44:00 PM PDT  

  • The only Irene Dunne films that I have seen and know are the 3 she made with Cary Grant which I equally love in different ways. What I have seen of her as an actress has impressed me very much and I would love to see and get more of her films on dvd.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 25, 01:20:00 PM PST